Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lilac Recipe - Lilac Jelly

Crepes filled with lilac jelly
Lilacs are a delightful spring flowering shrub. There are about 25 different varieties, the main differences being flower color. Light purple is most common, and there is also white, dark purple, pink, variegated, and a double blossom. The flowers grow in a panicle cluster, and many varieties are fragrant. The leaves are opposite in arrangement and are heart shaped. Common lilac (Syringa vulgaris) is often planted in parking lots and as an ornamental shrub in yards. Make sure the bush has not been sprayed before you gather some flowers.


Candied lilacs
 We candied the flowers by brushing them with beaten egg white and sprinkling them with superfine sugar. This was a time consuming process, and should be done on a dry day. The results are pretty, and should make a lovely addition to a cake or cupcakes.

The jelly was made with lots of flowers removed from their cluster. We packed them in a glass cup and added boiling water, and let them steep overnight. The color of the infusion was a greenish-pink, not pretty at all. As I added the lemon juice, the color changed to an electric pink. After cooking the jelly and sealing it in the jar, the color faded to a light yellow, almost clear. The flavor, however, is very floral and sweet.

Lilac Jelly      makes 8- 4 oz jars

2 c. packed lilac flowers
2 1/2 c. boiling water

1. Pour the boiling water over the lilac flowers, cover and allow to cool. Allow the infusion to sit 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Strain the flowers from the liquid using a coffee filter, you should have about 2 1/4 c. liquid.

2 c. lilac infusion
4 T lemon juice
1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
4 c. sugar

3. Place the lilac infusion, lemon juice and pectin in a large pot. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
4. Add all of the sugar at once, and stir to dissolve. Bring the jelly back up to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
5. Remove the jelly from the heat, skim the foam from the top (I got a lot of foam from this recipe) and ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.


15 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore this blog! I've always thought of foraging for some things, like dandelion leaves for salads, but this brings a whole new perspective! Thank you. I'm now following. Please take a look at my blog when you have a chance.

http://possumhillfarms.blogspot.com/

The 3 Foragers said...

Thanks for the compliment! We don't have property or a house, we rent. That may be a good reason to get out and forage. I liked reading your blog about planting things and my daughter loved the bunnies!

Peter said...

I just today posted a recipe for lilac ice cream. My son is reading this over my shoulder and asking "can we do that?"

Teresa said...

I am wondering about lilac infused oil- any thoughts? the scent is wonderful and would be a nice addition to a body butter, bath oil etc

Guy Martin said...

This, I will try. the lilac should be coming out in about 2 weeks here...we are in Quebec, Canada.
I can't wait...I love your blog...

Sean said...

I'm about to embark on a candied-flower project. The one thing that's held me back is the time-consuming painting with eggwhite step. I am going to make a wash of mostly egg white with some water wisked in and try doing a dip then cover with the sugar. Wish me luck. Have a mix of violets, pansies, lilacs and some other things from the farmer's market deemed appropriate for sugaring. Wish me luck!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I planted our first lilac about a year ago. It should bloom in the next year or two. I also posted a question. Please share, in detail, on how to prepare milkweed flowers for the quiche dish. What ingredients do I need to prepare them with? Our white milkweed flowers are in bloom now.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I made Queen Anne's Lace Jelly and it turned out very good. Be sure to pop over to my blog to see the recipe. I plan to make more of it too. I know you would like it.

Unknown said...

Like this so much that I have posted your blog link in my blog...that should give you more exposure. Love the Lilac Jelly :)
To see us and your link: http://mammyoaklee.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/lilac-jelly/

Kat said...

Hi, and thanks so much for this recipe. I just tried it, and even though I reversed the numbers and thought I should cook it for 10 minutes and bathe it for 1, it still tastes great, lol. I'm going to try it again, definitely. I put a link to your blog on my facebook page, as well as my blog. I also blogged about making this,at: http://craftkat.blogspot.ca/2013/06/lilac-jelly.html
Thanks so much for the wonderful blog!
Take care,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I made your dandelion jelly . . . and this morning, I cooked and jarred a batch of the lilac. The recipe worked very well. Although the glorious color of this jelly is fleeting, I'm sure that the delicious taste will be reminding me of spring during cold winter months. Thanks again for the recipe.

Annabelles Homesteading said...

Can lilac jelly be made with honey and Pamona Pectin instead?

Thank you for the lovely recipie!

The 3 Foragers said...

I would think this idea would work with honey and the Pamona pectin, but I don't know what the measurements would be.

Unknown said...

Doe the flowers needs to be in percerct condition? I had some of the flowers end up being slightly brown amongst the white/pink ones, and in the boiling water bath, the water is fairly brown is that OK? Or should it be really clear?

Anonymous said...

Does it matter what lilacs you use to make jelly? I have three different kind in my yard.