Sunday, May 1, 2011

Violet Recipe - Violet Jelly

Violet Jelly spread over buttered bread
I know I have posted a version of this recipe before but while referencing it, I noticed it was poorly written and could use a do-over. We gather purple violets from a shady park, even though there are plenty growing in most peoples' lawns. I give the violets a quick rinse in cold water, and a spin dry to remove bugs before making the infusion for the jelly.

Violet Jelly             makes about 11- 4 oz. jars

2 c. packed violet blossoms, stems removed
2 c. boiling water

1. Pour the boiling water over the violets and allow them to steep at least 2 hours, overnight is best. Squeeze the water from the violets, and measure out 1 3/4 c. violet infusion. It will be very dark blue.

1 3/4 c. violet infusion
1/4 c. lemon juice
4 c. sugar
1 pouch Certo liquid pectin (3 oz.)

2. Put the violet infusion, lemon juice, and sugar in a large pot. Bring it up to a rolling boil.
3. Add the Certo pectin, and bring the mixture back up to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove the jelly from the heat and ladle into hot, sterilised jars. Cover, and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.

6 comments:

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Thanks for sharing!
I just did a post about this today.
I am hopeless inept in the kitchen but am determined to try this as this is the first year I've had fat, healthy violets in my yard.

I hope I make it to taste as good as it looks!

Nice blog.
I look forward to following.

~Mimi
www.thegoatborrower.blogspot.com

Janet said...

I am really enjoying your blog. I missed the violets this year so am making a note on my calendar for next year. I did try dandelion jelly and honeysuckle jelly this year. Thanks for a great blog !
Janet (simplehomecraft.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make this for my daughter (Violet) when she is old enough to appreciate! Thank you for sharing!

Robin Conley said...

I was wondering... we have both purple and white with purple center violets in our yard. Would it be ok to use both for the jelly?

The 3 Foragers said...

We use some of the white violets with the purple centers, but try to use many more all purple ones for better color.

Anonymous said...

I was a bit unsure what the flavor of this would be. Upon adding the hot water to the violets, a very "green" smell, so I worried the jelly would taste this way. But after cooking it up, it had the most delicate, floral, slightly citrus flavor that I love. I am definitely making a second batch tomorrow!